rich-c: how Are things in Gramd Ra[ids?
BobS: our rain is coming your way
BobS: rainy, yucky and hopefully clearing
rich-c: we were coool. lots of cloud, the odd sunny break
BobS: rain coming..........
rich-c: having computer questions today so didn't get on our weather sites
BobS: questions ? or problems?
rich-c: my ISP has moved downtown to get access to the Big Pipe and more speed
BobS: now.....did I get this right last week.............................Erin is cleared to cross the border into the US
rich-c: means reconfiguring a lot of the internal stuff in my internet connections
BobS: can see tha
BobS: that
moved to room Meeting Place
changed username to LucMiron
BobS: good day Luc
rich-c: well, not quite, she is cleared to go to the border, give them an envelope, and ask to get in
BobS: I see
rich-c: salut, Luc
LucMiron: Yo guys and... well, no gals yet.! :)
BobS: right o!!!!
rich-c: then apparently they will question her for an hour and if they like the answers, she is a US permanent resident
LucMiron: No sign of Guy F. tonight either, huh?
BobS: can she keep her canadian citizenship also??????
rich-c: people tend to drift in early, late, whatever
rich-c: we were up very late watching the election results so the Canadians may well be late
LucMiron: I've been testing Pac-Man Collection tonight. Very nice so far.
rich-c: she remains a Canadian citizen, she can apply for American citizens ship, and if accepted will be allowed both
LucMiron: @rich: No problem, I've got an e-mail all ready for him. He cannot escape me. ;P
changed username to Daniel Bienvenu
rich-c: bonsoir, Daniel
Daniel Bienvenu: Bonsoir mes amis, bonsoir! Bonsoir mes amis, bonsoir! Bonsoir mes amis, Bonsoir mes amis, Bonsoir mes amis, bonsoir!
BobS: Daniel WELCOME mon
rich-c: I get the feeling you either have a new job or like the election result
BobS: that's good Richard..........
BobS: me, Luc. or Daniel
LucMiron: Or he's high on something...
rich-c: oh, Daniel's turf was a real battleground - I'll be the winners were his guys
Daniel Bienvenu: no... and no... I'm just happy.
changed username to Guy B.
Guy B.: Greetings!
BobS: hi Guy
rich-c: hello Mr. B
LucMiron: Salut Dan.
Daniel Bienvenu: salut Luc
rich-c: why are you so joyful then, Daniel?
Daniel Bienvenu: Well, Luc gives me something today to help me with a game project I still have to modify. And things are getting in place for other projects. so, I'm happy!
rich-c: and well you should be - glad to hear it, Daniel
BobS: GREAT Daniel
rich-c: I am greatly relieved by our election results so am feeling pretty cheerful too
LucMiron: Well, I'm glad I could help, you I have to wonder why you didn't just do this yourself. I did use the same font from the original game...
rich-c: tired, but cheerful
LucMiron: I didn't even bother to vote this year. Nothing good to vote for.
rich-c: but some very objectionable stuff to vote against, Luc - ask M. Duceppe!
LucMiron: Well, I guess I would have voted for the Bloc Quebecois, if I had bothered. I ended up going to the gym instead. That's a more productive use of my tmie. :)
LucMiron: tmie=time
Daniel Bienvenu: Luc, to answer this question, I have to say it's because of the first suggestion you did earlier which was a reduced and colorful logo which needed more characters than the actual code can support... that's why I had a bad time and didn't wanted to disappoint you by making something similar like your last suggestion. I know, I should tell people when something is not exactly possible to do, but at least this problem is solve and I can go forward with the project.
rich-c: this was a good election in which to vote for teh Bloc, Luc
Daniel Bienvenu: I did vote, but the candidate had not enough vote to win, but it's ok, I'm happy that people did vote here for there favorite candidate.
rich-c: yes, the higher the vote the more valid the election
Daniel Bienvenu: the bad thing about this election was having the result before counting the votes from the west coast... it's like it was not important for the final result.
rich-c: well, when you have a nation with five time zones, Daniel, it's pretty hard to get around it
rich-c: besides, the western votes can reverse the results, so there is always a lot of suspense
rich-c: wait till you watch the US election - the state with the most votes is the last to report
LucMiron: @Daniel: I'm planning to encode the JP title screen with ICVGM starting tomorrow (on my lunch break). Is that okay with you?
BobS: i thought that the canadian newspeople had the good sense to not report reuslts until the last time zone voted
BobS: results
LucMiron: @BobS: Nope. No such respect. :)
BobS: bummer
rich-c: no, but there is a blackout in each zone until the polls have closed
Daniel Bienvenu: JP title screen?
Daniel Bienvenu: with ICVM?
LucMiron: @Daniel: Yeah, the one I did for you, with the guy stuck under a pile of jewels.
Daniel Bienvenu: well, the screen is too big and complex to fit in ICVGM, no?
LucMiron: I was thinking of doing three different DAT files, on for each screen third.
rich-c: I thought you had a rolling blackout like ours, Bob
LucMiron: on=one
Daniel Bienvenu: Well, I was thinking of using cv paint to convert the picture without the sprites and then use icvgm for the sprites and try to fit them on screen.
LucMiron: Yeah, I guess that could work too...
LucMiron: So CV-Paint can export this directly as an RLE bitmap, right?
rich-c: that's going to need some pretty trricky calculation, isn't it, Daniel?
LucMiron: calculations?
Daniel Bienvenu: well, Dither can convert to PowerPaint 40K file and then I can use CV Paint to convert into data.
rich-c: getting the sprite overlay in place - or do I misunderstand?
Daniel Bienvenu: the algorithme RLE is done when converting into data.
LucMiron: I already have the list of X/Y coordinates for each sprite. Daniel just needs to use this list in his code.
BobS: no rolling blackouts, they just take off at 8pm EST and start prerdicting as the results come in
Daniel Bienvenu: Well, I will try it tonight. Just need to find back the folder.
rich-c: in this year of satellite tv and the internet, blackouts are incrasingly futile
BobS: true
LucMiron: If you're not sure you have the last version (with the color change in certain jewels), let me know, I've got it right here.
rich-c: I could have simply tuned in CBC Halifax on my satellite and had results an hour earlier
Daniel Bienvenu: You know what, Put your signature at the bottom of the newest version and send it to me at my yahoo or hotmail address.
rich-c: but in fact I didn't start watching till 10 pm - our polls closed at 9.30
BobS: just wait until the next morning and let them hash it out all night and tell you in the morning
rich-c: ah, I'm too nosy for that - besides, there were highly significant issues this time
BobS: and they were going to happen anyway.........
changed username to Judy
Guy B.: Hi Judy'
Judy: Hi, All!!!
rich-c: true, but even so, no point in spending the night fretting about what might be
rich-c: hello, Judy!
BobS: ok will give you that
LucMiron: @Daniel: My signature? The 'PIXELBOY 2007' is already placed under the picture. I guess I should change it to 2008...
rich-c: I reckon you'll be watching pretty hard on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November...
LucMiron: Hi Judy.
LucMiron: . o O (Who is this "All" she said hello to...?)
rich-c: that's teh big guy in the crowd, Luc ;-)
Judy: everyone that is on the chat right now
LucMiron: LOL!!!!!
Judy: there is not much talking going on
LucMiron: @Daniel and Dale: Well, anyway, you gentlemen may like to know that I now have the CV casing mould in my possession.
rich-c: hey, you made teh trip and got the goods!
rich-c: any problems with les Douaniers?
rich-c: Dale is off somewhere else, Judy, as is GuyB
rich-c: and I don't know whre Pam is but she needed computer assistance today
LucMiron: @rish: Yep. I had to pay almost 300$ in customs fees.
BobS: yes Luc, did you get any problems at the airport?
BobS: OUCH
BobS: tell them you were just renting it?
LucMiron: It was past midnight, and I didn't feel like arguing with the customs officer. I just answered his questions, paid the money, and left.
rich-c: that's huige, Luc - I'd have expected you to get it in free. What happened?
BobS: gov't jerks
Daniel Bienvenu: 300$ in custom fees?
LucMiron: As far as he was concerned, it was commercial material, and I was going to sell stuff made with it, so duties applied, I guess.
rich-c: how much is the thing worth if you bought it?
LucMiron: Yeah, 300$. I told them the mould was worth 2000$.
LucMiron: Eduardo was originally willing to sell it to me for 3000$ (2700$ if I paid it all in one payment).
BobS: kindayou hsould get a return amount when you leave canada with it
rich-c: usually manufacturing tools tend to be duty free, to encourage business
Daniel Bienvenu: I hope you will use the mold a lot to justify all the troubles.
rich-c: I have teh feeling you got shafted, Luc
LucMiron: Anyhow, now I'm trying to find a plastic company to get some casings done. A collegue at my company has already hooked me up with a potential company.
LucMiron: @rich: Like I said, it was past midnight. I was too tired to get into an argument.
rich-c: you aren't losing any time then, Luc
LucMiron: Yep. Time is money. :)
rich-c: I understand and it wouldn't get you anywhere anyway
rich-c: the only way to argue is to know the rules before you approach the border
rich-c: then if they try to screw you you tell them no and demand to see the supervisor
LucMiron: @Daniel: It all depends on how many people order casings from me. I hope to go over 1000...
LucMiron: You wanted to order some from me, IIRC?
Daniel Bienvenu: Actually, I can't buy any, and I will let Dale deal with the casings part this time.
LucMiron: Okay.
LucMiron: What's Dale up to anyhow? He's been pretty silent...
rich-c: often he sort of checks in here, then wanders off to work on a project and loses track of time
BobS: probably dell asleep
BobS: fell
rich-c: that wouldn't be a surprise - he works some pretty long hours
rich-c: and it wasn't till 1 a.m. that we had a fairly good handle on the election last night (ask me how I know)
rich-c: who offers the best coverage on your elections - and least commercials, Bob?
changed username to Pamela
Pamela: hi folks
rich-c: hi daughter, wondering when you would show up
Guy B.: HI Pam
Daniel Bienvenu: hi Pam
Guy B.: Brb, reading e-mails
Daniel Bienvenu: how is your headack?
Pamela: I'm here but not talking until I finish eating
Judy: Hi, Pam
BobS: PAM
rich-c: OK, I'm curious as to what that conference call was about this morning
BobS: guten tag!!!!
BobS: Richard. who knows!!!!
BobS: all the channels are over the top......................so to speak
rich-c: John (our ISP) knows - he was talking to me when she called in
LucMiron: @Daniel: Got your updated title screen ready. Your e-mail is newcoleco at the server of yahoo, right?
rich-c: oh - OK, Bob - I watched CBC Newsworls last night and not a single ad all night
rich-c: the French language one I think, Luc
Daniel Bienvenu: don't forget the dot fr, luc... because dot com is not a valid email
BobS: you got to be kidding.........NO commercials ???????? wont' happen here
LucMiron: @Daniel: E-mail sent. Please check your inbox. :)
rich-c: guess the CBC considered it too important to interrupt - I believe they usually have commercials
rich-c: and I don't know what they did on the over the air channels
Daniel Bienvenu: got no email yet... it's slow tonight
rich-c: generally speaking, I believe Canada allows fewer commercials per hour than the FTC does
BobS: "maybe"CNBC or MSNBC might stay on tract, but dont' watch them much
rich-c: don't believe I have those; I only buy the most basic package
LucMiron: I almost never watch TV...
changed username to LucMiron
rich-c: meme aussi ici, Luc - only CFL football and F1 racing
Daniel Bienvenu: October 14... they lunch OpenOffice 3 (final version)... and there was so much request to download it that the web page was down during awhile, and I think they did a temporary web page to help downloading the version you need in one click.
LucMiron: Note to self: Do not close the parent window to the Spaniel Chat window...
Daniel Bienvenu: OpenOffice 3 + PDF import plugin (beta) = fun to extract text, but can't edit pdf (or I don't know how to do so).
rich-c: why do I suspect version 3 won't last more than 18 months before someone wants to build a version 4?
rich-c: no, it definitely does not work well, does it, Luc? ;-)
Daniel Bienvenu: last night, I talked with Dale, he was helping making some progress into PSP version of his AdamStreet game project.
(goes to fetch his beer)
Daniel Bienvenu: Version 3 is native for MacOS, no more X11 window emulation thing.
LucMiron: AdamStreet? Is that a cousin of Sesame Street? :)
Pamela: okay, I'm full now
Daniel Bienvenu: @Luc : still got no new mail... are you sure you send to newcoleco at yahoo server dot fr?
Pamela: Daniel, my headache is better thank you
Pamela: we had a glitch earlier which caused delays in dinner and accordingly, logging on
LucMiron: @Daniel: Just checked, and the e-mail address is correct. Is there a limit on attachments?
LucMiron: My attached picture is a 34K PNG file...
rich-c: don't fuss it, Luc, sometimes emails are very slow to get through
LucMiron: @rich: Don't I know it... Stupid spam checkers... ;)
Pamela: Dad, in answer to your question, we had to conference because our internet wasn't working properly last night
rich-c: 34K??? likely too small for Windows to even see 8-)
LucMiron: Yeah, it probably fell in a cyber-crack. ;P
rich-c: did you figure out what was wrong?
Pamela: yes we did - static DNS numbers, I think
Daniel Bienvenu: I have mail... finaly
Daniel Bienvenu: png file
rich-c: yes, I changed to automatic from hard-coded this morning
rich-c: did John tell you he's closing his office?
Pamela: no - why?
rich-c: he's moving down to Front St. where the Big Pipe is, get the speed and volume capacity
rich-c: your service may suddenly get a lot faster
Pamela: it's not too shabby now
rich-c: and the mail service is moving to a contractor in London
rich-c: did you know John was in Orillia when he talked to you?
Pamela: yes
Pamela: he has VOIP
Pamela: I don't know if he even staffs the office in North York anymore
rich-c: seems he has a VOIP connection from his Toronto phone number
Pamela: unless someone has to come in to pick something up
rich-c: he doesn't but then he never did, except with himself
LucMiron: @Daniel: Quick reminder: The sprites are already designed and placed so that there are never more than 4 sprites on ant scanline, so just place the sprites as listed in the PNG file, and everything will come out as expected. :)
rich-c: we had a real puzzle at one point - teh desktop could get on line, the laptop couldn't
LucMiron: ant=any
Pamela: so he said
Guy B.: My new Freedom Speech Processor was shipped out today, so it's on the way
Pamela: that's good news Guy
rich-c: hey, that's neat, Guy - I know you are really eagerly awaiting that
Guy B.: Boy, am I. I don't know how much longer this external mic on the old one will hold
rich-c: what's the weather doing over on your side of Lake Michigan, btw?
Guy B.: Still have to get it programmed yet
Pamela: who does the programming?
Guy B.: We had rain, but that's ended and it's cool
rich-c: that's going to be a challenge, Guy
Pamela: and what sort of programming does it require?
rich-c: yes, there has been quite a cold air mass out of the west - they had snow in Saskatchewan Monday
Guy B.: My audiologist. It involves hearing certain low and high sounds and I try to see if they match for each electrode on my implant
rich-c: in fact I believe it was 20 cm, or about 8 inches
LucMiron: Yeah I saw some pictures of that online. Quite a snowfall!
Guy B.: Since there are four modes, this will take longer than my current processor
rich-c: luckily the Roughie were playing in Calgary - though seeing the result, maybe not...
Daniel Bienvenu: @Luc : Based on what I see, why the thumb sprite is having so much data on it, rather then letting some parts already in place with characters? if it's a way to optimize compression, I don't see it.
Pamela: isn't that rather subjective, Guy?
Pamela: by the way Dad, I wanted to thank you for bringing the wine on Sunday - it was a nice wine and I don't think I ever commented on it or said thank you
LucMiron: @Daniel: Let me have a look at that.. BRB...
rich-c: I always try to make them nice, Pam - glad everyone liked it
rich-c: just looked at the weather radar, Bob - looks like you're out of the rain and it's headed for us
LucMiron: @Daniel: Just had a look at it, and I don't know that to tell you. It just came out that way, I guess. You can modify the sprite and associate tiles, if you want.
BobS: yup that's what I told ya
BobS: fast moving front
rich-c: looks like light rain mostly
BobS: started here about 3:30pm
BobS: 1/4 to 1/3 of an iunch
Pamela: was sprinkling when I went out at 7:45, stopped by 8:45
BobS: inch
Daniel Bienvenu: I'm editing the picture and convert it right after
rich-c: here it looks patchy on the radar, in and out, but a big mass coming in hard
Pamela: I just hope that Russell gets home before it starts in earnest
rich-c: but not that much moisture in it overall
rich-c: I doubt it will be much more than a sprinkle anyway, Pam
Pamela: poor guy, he's come home in the rain more these past few months than in years past
Guy B.: Ok back.
Pamela: brb
Pamela: see my question,Guy
rich-c: yes, it's likely an illusion, but it seems all our rain has been at night lately
rich-c: oh before I forget - someone is impersonating Microsoft and sending out malware
rich-c: has a message claiming since you're on auto upgrade this critical update is being send direct - very urgent
Guy B.: Well, there are 4 program modes Pam. One for noisy situations, the phone, normal. So I don't know how my audiologist is going to do this yet, but I'll find out when I go see her
rich-c: OE won't open teh attachment anyway, don't know how an antivirus will react
rich-c: anyway if Bill Gates emails you, don't open it ;-)
Daniel Bienvenu: editing... done
Pamela: are you supposed to tell her if they appear to match ore will they balance it on the computer?
Pamela: Yes, Daddy
Guy B.: Just upgraded the Compaq to XP Service Pack 3. The notebook is waiting for me to install it next
Guy B.: I will let her know, when I hear the sounds
rich-c: yes, I have SP3 installed - it has not caused any glitches for me so far, and seems safe for most folks
LucMiron: @Daniel: I wonder if processing the image will be a hassle for CV-Paint. Does it optimize the tile placements for maximum color byte compression?
Guy B.: To be on the safe side, I'm backing up My Documents folder, so I won't lose anything
rich-c: smart move - Microsoft upgrades are notorious for causing problems, even if SP3 is easier than most
LucMiron: Thanks Guy, you just reminded me to do a backup of my own next Saturday morning. :)
LucMiron: Not related to SP3, just haven't made a backup in a while...
rich-c: you'll never need it unless you don't do it - then your need will be critical
Guy B.: I just formatted and partition a 30GB hard drive using GParted on my hard drive enclosure and it worked out great. Couldn't do this with XP
rich-c: why only 30 gigs on the hard drive and given that, why partition it?
Guy B.: It wasn't, since this is a used hard drive I got for free from work
Judy: I think it is the time for me to say good night, too tired
LucMiron: Okay, gotta go shave, and then hop into bed. If Guy Foster shows up later, please tell him to check up on his e-mail.
Pamela: goodnite Judy
Pamela: nice chatting with you : )
Guy B.: Night Judy
rich-c: right Judy - take good care there and see you next week
Judy left chat session
Pamela: g'nite Luc
LucMiron: G'night Judy, and All. ;)
rich-c: Luc, bonsoir - will tell Guy if he appears
LucMiron: @Daniel: Let's keep in touch about Jewel Panic. I'm looking forward to seing the title screen on my TV!
Daniel Bienvenu: converting... done
rich-c: Guy, why not just format it as a single maximum FAT partition and use it like that?
Daniel Bienvenu: still have sprites to draw in icvgm
LucMiron: @Daniel: Want me to do those for you? I've got some free time tomorrow, during lunch...
Guy B.: I couldn't since it was unallocated, so I had no choice
LucMiron: Okay, too late. Gone now!
LucMiron left chat session
Guy B.: And it is one partition
Guy B.: FAT32
rich-c: if it's already a single maximum partition, which it is, and formatted, why do anything more?
Daniel Bienvenu: 6 sprites done...
Daniel Bienvenu: bonne nuit!
Daniel Bienvenu: goodnite!
Daniel Bienvenu: I'm leaving for tonight too
BobS: nite Daniel
rich-c: bonne nuit, Daniel
BobS: time for me to hit the road also kids
rich-c: right Bob - good night and take care
Daniel Bienvenu: what the road did to you to make you want to hit it?
Pamela: nite Bob
BobS: another day of work tomorrow.........hopefully NOT with rain
Pamela: bonsoir Daniel
rich-c: yes, we wish you a dry one
BobS: figure of speech Daniel......meaing got to leave
BobS: and literally, go on up the road and away.......
BobS: nite all
Daniel Bienvenu: I knew it... just wanted to make a funny question with it. ho well
BobS left chat session
Guy B.: Well folks, I'm going to go. See you all next week
Pamela: gnite Guy
rich-c: don't think Bob realized you will pun in English - he should know better ;-)
Guy B.: poof
Guy B. left chat session
Daniel Bienvenu: soon or later, Dale will wake up and realized... he was logged here
rich-c: well that sort of thins the group, doesn't it?
rich-c: sooner or later - but it's his server, he can do whaqt he likes
Daniel Bienvenu: goodnite!
Daniel Bienvenu: bye
rich-c: nite, Daniel
rich-c: so, Pam, about time for us to go too?
Pamela: I suppose I'd better go too
Pamela: stuff to do before bed
rich-c: it's a long day tomorrow
rich-c: so goodnight to you - sleep tight
Pamela: gnite Daddy you to
Pamela: sorry, too
rich-c: OK, colour me gone
Pamela: gnite Daniel and Dale
rich-c left chat session
Pamela: kerpoofing
Pamela left chat session
Daniel Bienvenu: zzzz what? what is a kerpoofing? zzzz